- The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies Unit
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies Unit
The University of Queensland established The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (ATSIS) Unit in 1984 as a commitment to the learning, discovery and engagement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
The ATSIS Unit strongly supports and encourages the celebration of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures and recognises the enormous contributions that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people bring to UQ.
The ATSIS Unit works closely with the Faculties, Schools, Central Units and the wider UQ community to provide a range of professional services and academic support for UQ’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students. From pre-enrolment through to graduation, The ATSIS Unit can provide assistance with:
- Admission to UQ, including information on UQ’s range of tertiary programs, pre-enrolment preparation programs and alternative entry pathways.
- Orientation for new students to assist with the transition to University life and study.
- Advice on scholarships, prizes, cadetships and student support payments.
- Learning support and advice, including workshops, group sessions, tutorial sessions and individual consultations.
The ATSIS Unit has a presences at the St Lucia campus and provides remote assistance to students at the Gatton Campus and other UQ locations.